Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Travel like...a rock star?


If there were one thing that most of us would agree upon, it would be that we want to be different. Some might call it unique but we live in a world where we just do not want to blend in with the mass. It is all about individualism.

From the haircut we sport – be it dreadlocks, crew cut or flat top, to the fancy cars we drive, there is a nagging urge to stand out in the crowd and make a clear statement of who we are. Yet, somehow the consumer world still manages to turn us into stereotypes convincing us to buy the same products while pretending that they are geared specifically to our individual tastes.

The travel industry is no different when it comes to personalized service. This is a broad terminology that stretches from exclusive vacationing on private islands to having specially designed towels in your suite. Really, the list is endless, though what is clear is that the more personalized you want your holiday to be, the more it would cost you.

On the other hand, we have travellers who are in search of a different type of uniqueness, something that money can’t buy. They are in search of authentic travel experiences.

It goes without saying that if you want a gem then you need to go to the source. The source in this case would be the locals of where you intend to travel.

Travel media can at times hoodwink the unwary, promising everything between heaven and earth. We want to believe the picturesque advertisements that we are bombarded with day in and day out. Be it cuisine, scenery, accommodation and what have you. It all just looks perfect. Though it does not always measure up to that urge to get to know a place on a deeper level. There is always a missing link!

The missing link to me is your host, not someone you pay to show you around but perhaps an unexpected friend. It’s unlikely to know anyone everywhere we go. But at times it takes a little less effort than we think to strike friendship with someone local.

It may be your waiter or taxi driver. You would be surprised how friendly people can be in many parts of the world even towards visitors. I must admit, some of my greatest and inspirational travel experiences have been those where I had a friend or befriended someone to show me the “real deal”.

It’s difficult for me to look back on my travel experiences without seeing the faces that have inspired me to think outside of the box and have really enriched my life. In each place I visit, the best souvenir for me is a new friendship and a brand new perspective. I am not the type that takes photos of every statue or building I ran into or every incident during my travels. This doesn’t mean that I do not enjoy sightseeing or appreciate beautiful scenery but my preference is connecting with the people.

If I were to choose between travelling like a rock star with its glitz and glamour and travelling in humdrum style like a local, I would put my money on the latter and not just because of the local cuisine or some folk dance but for going that step further.

Perhaps, I would sit down and talk to a grandmother who has seen the world and her surroundings change. She probably has stories to tell beyond what an average guidebook has to say. Personally, the stories I rave about over and over again and get all the laughs and wows from all, involve the great friendships I’ve made and experiences I’ve shared that money could never buy.


www.grassroots-traveller.com

No comments:

Post a Comment